At the height of summer, when both fresh tomatoes and home-grown basil are in season, I tend to get a little wild with my favorite flavor pairing. Tomato and basil compliment each other to perfection, and they come in enough colorful varieties to please everyone.
To celebrate, I'm posting a few of my favorite tomato-basil recipes....
* 2 large, ripe, firm tomatoes (a variety meant for chopping)
* 1 cup fresh basil leaves (about 15 large leaves - I like to combine the lemon basil and purple)
* 1 green onion or 1/4 of a small sweet onion chopped
* 5 small fronds of parsley
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Chop (or tear) the first four ingredients and toss gently.
Drizzle olive oil and vinegar over salad. Toss again.
Alternate Ending: This simple salad can be combined with bite size cuts of mozzarella cheese, spooned over garlic toast for a bruschetta, or used to garnish steak hot or cold. It will last at least one day in the fridge.